Friday, August 31, 2007

Afghanada

So I've been listening to the radio drama Afghanada on the CBC every morning at 11:30 (shhhh... don't tell my boss), and it has drawn me in completely. Two grunts and their sergeant, delivering aid, having cultural clashes, getting into fire fights, as part of the Canadian peace keeping mission in Afghanistan. The back drop of Canadians in Afghanistan is interesting enough, but it's the human drama that really grabs me. This ain't Melrose Place, folks. This is a drama about people with actual real world problems, people who get themselves stuck in very bad situations over and over again because it's their job, and not a job that they can quit. People who have to deal with their own personal shit and can't let it control them because there are much bigger issues at stake. It's been making me feel a bit better about my own crap. It's refreshing to see that someone else understands that sometimes you're in a bad situation, you can't get out of it, can't really make it much better, just have to get through it as well as you can, trying not to harm anyone else. Check it out!

I noticed that in the tag line for this blog, I mentioned dining, though I haven't actually followed up on that and written anything on that subject. Well... I like food! How's that for a solid start? I don't actually have much to say about dining. I have a CSA share which has been providing me with ridiculous amounts of produce for the past few months; that's been great. I love the idea (and the act) of getting food from local sources; knowing the people who grew it, the land it was grown on, others in the community eating from the same crops. I love the fact that buying a CSA share stems the tide of unsustainable development, and keeps farmers on their land. Also, the food is amazing, and I've been eating things that I'd never heard of before, can't pronounce, and/or would never have thought to buy, otherwise. Huguenot Street Farms

1 comment:

NoRegrets said...

Hmm... is it good or bad that someone has found your blog? There's an interesting thing that I just recently discovered on Blogger - you can click on what you list for your interest and it shows you who else has that interest. Ingenious! I got to you through navel gazing. And since you live in New Paltz, and I'm a rock climber, had to see what was up. FYI, re food, recently went to Chef's Laboratory - crap, that's not the name - up in Highland Falls. In the wine cellar of the old mill. Really nice. Good food.
OK, hope I haven't ruined your blogging experience...keep on thinking and writing.