Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Guilty pleasure

So there's this radio drama that airs on the CBC every Friday morning at 11:30, and I simply cannot stop listening. It's called Canadia 2056; it features science fiction, American-Canadian relations, intergalactic toilet plunging, amorous computers, a brain in a jar, romance, action, comedy. It really has it all. It's like a mash up of Futurama, the Hitchhiker's Guide, and this stupid audio production of the story of King Midas that I did in grade 5.

What is it that's so compelling about radio dramas? And why aren't there any in this country? (Or if there are, where are they?) Why do I have to outsource for my auditory amusement? Afghanada (when it was on the air, and I hope it's coming back for a third season) also held me totally in thrall.

2 comments:

NoRegrets said...

The local radio station here plays the old radio shows on Sunday nights. Like Gunsmoke, etc. IT's great to listen to them.

Start your own! :-)

Squirrel said...

Actually, I've thought semi-seriously about doing that. I can write cockamamie shit as well as the next guy/gal, as this blog attests! And I think I know enough people who would be interested in helping me out with voice acting.

BTW - congrats and good luck on the house!