Monday, December 14, 2009

more scribblings

A list of reminders to myself I have written on a card in my wallet, which I never remember to read in moments of need:

  • Passion. Beauty. Joy. (I took this from an interview with Bill Nye, the Science Guy - it's his response to a question about what motivates him.)
  • Prayer doesn't pay the bills.
  • Go where going takes you.
  • Save the drama for your mama.
  • Soldier on.
  • One hand for yourself, one hand for the ship. (I tend to pour myself completely into things (like work), leaving nothing left to give if anything else arises with which I need to deal. So I end up totally loosing my shit over tiny little things. I need to remember to keep one hand for myself.)
  • Make hay while the sun shines.
  • Build what you cannot borrow, buy what you cannot build. (My adage on frugality.)
  • Show up and see what happens. (You can do all the planning in the world, but it still won't make you completely ready for whatever happens.)
  • Live like a yogi. Die like a Buddhist. (This is probably my favourite. I think I came up with it during a session with my therapist a few years ago. I'm less fond of the second half of this imperative than I once was.)
  • You'd do well to recognize when your anger is masking a well of sadness. (Cause, you know, it usually is.)

No comments: